Position: Engineering & Maintenance Manager Location: Adams, MA
Technology based company produces a broad range of mineral-based and synthetic mineral products.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Engineering & Maintenance Manager at our Adams, MA location. The Engineering & Maintenance Manager, under limited supervision, is responsible for managing the Plant Engineering function, including maintenance of all plant equipment and process systems, project engineering, utilities, and automation systems.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs the effective maintenance of all plant facilities, including breakdowns and preventive maintenance, work control, automation, outside maintenance contractors and repair shops.
- Establishes and enforces maintenance procedures and methods.
- Establishes and monitors maintenance budgets for all plant cost centers, as well as the entire budget for his assigned centers.
- Makes final approval of engineering design, cost estimating, and installation of additions, renewals, changes, and improvements to the plant.
- Accomplishes specification inspection and cost control analysis of all contractors' work performed in the plant for capital projects.
- Coordinates all contractual and vendor arrangements with suppliers, vendors, repair shops, and capital/maintenance contractors.
Organization and Personnel
- Participates in developing and maintaining effective employee relations within the Engineering Department and properly staffs all positions.
- Initiates the training of new and inexperienced personnel, as well as experienced personnel.
- Develops and maintains a high degree of morale within the department and with other departments within the plant.
- Enforces safety rules and regulations.
- Takes the initiative to improve the department's, as well as the plant's safety posture and awareness.
Energy and Utility Systems
- Directs the efficient operation of plant energy (utility) systems to include electricity, water, natural gas, air, and steam.
- Explores and directs energy system related efficiency, improvements, conservation, and insures appropriate in-plant distribution of energy costs.
- Supervises the plant's Process and Automation Engineer to insure state-of- the-art automation projects and repairs.
- Sets priorities for the automation function in conjunction with Production Management.
Other Related Duties
- Keeps abreast of the latest technological developments in the Plant Engineering field.
- Participates in the activities of professional and technical societies and associations to promote the interest of the company.
- Takes initiative to achieve departmental/divisional EEO objectives and to ensure that personnel practices are fair and consistent with company policy and government regulations.
- Provides technical support to other plants and satellites.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Acts as resource and champion for department continuous improvement activities (Suggestion Program, 5S, Kaizen, TPM, problem solving, etc.).
- Manages individual employee involvement in continuous improvement activities to ensure equal opportunities are available for all department members to participate and contribute.
Principal Working Relationships
- Works with Plant Manager to develop and implement overall plant strategies and plans, as well as specific tasks and assignments.
- Works with Global Controller to develop budgets, and to monitor and control expenditures.
- Maintains routine contact with subordinate staff and supervisors in carrying out the department's mission and objective.
- Works closely with Human Resources Manager and Safety Supervisor to ensure fair treatment of personnel as well as to improve safety performance.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited institution in Engineering.
Experience, Knowledge & Skills:
- 10+ years of experience in engineering assignments as a Manager working in a quality-focused environment with strong employee-oriented programs.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively, to motivate others and to promote a positive work atmosphere.
- Incumbent must have good technical skills and the ability to develop the plant processes.
- Incumbent must have a well-developed business understanding, excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills, strong inter- personal skills, the ability to communicate effectively with, to motivate others and to promote a positive work atmosphere.
- Applicant must be able to work effectively with all levels of employees within the company.
- Incumbent must be a self-starter who seeks responsibility and is able to work with minimal direction.
- Must have demonstrated a willingness to challenge conventional ideas, to be a flexible, innovative individual and one who can function effectively in a team format.
- The employee is expected to be self-directed, take initiative and be persistent when appropriate to accomplish necessary duties and keep busy without prompting.
- Additionally, the employee is expected to be adaptable/flexible to changing work assignments, have a high level of integrity, motivate and lead others/provide direction, have dependability and self-control to maintain composure, perform multiple tasks at once, learn and memorize procedures, manage time effectively and efficiently, meet established deadlines, display a cooperative attitude, read, understand and follow all company, job specific and safety policies/procedures, and attend/use all required training.
- Ability to travel is preferred.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is typically required to regularly conduct work in a controlled office environment, moving around the office as needed, sitting at a desk, and using office equipment, including but not limited to a personal computer, fax, copier and phone. Constant contact with individuals internal and external to the organization occurs via various methods of communication typically including face-to-face discussions, electronic mail, phone calls, written letters and/or faxes. On a frequent basis, there may be exposure to plant production areas, which includes exposure to outside weather conditions as well as loud noise from equipment and dust from production processes. Exposure to plant areas requires the use of appropriate safety equipment. Personal protective equipment is available for employee use in these circumstances.
What We Offer:
- Competitive pay, commensurate with experience
- Health/Dental/Vision plans
- 401k company match
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability & Long-Term Disability
- Educational Assistance
- Employee Assistance Plan