80k – 90k A Bachelors degree is required.
Dynamic company makes synthetic mineral products and related systems and services.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for an EHS Engineer at our Adams, MA location. The EHS Engineer develops and implements projects for the Adams facility; executing work scopes to promote the safety of the employees, sustainability of the operation and the economic interests of the Company. Takes on a leadership role in the Safety, Health and Environmental programs at the facility.
Recommends measures to reduce or eliminate accident and health hazards, as well as cost improvement measures. Ensures compliance with MSHA and other government regulations.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Design and execute engineering projects consistent with management direction, focusing on EHS requirements. Projects related to process improvements and cost control will also be undertaken.
- Engineering & project management for environmental requirements including waste disposal, water management, air emissions controls, and other permitting requirements.
- Engineering & project management for condition-based safety improvements
- Engineering & project management for operational excellence assignments as prioritized.
- Accompany third party representatives (e.g., MSHA, Workers' Compensation, D.O.L., MA DEP, US EPA etc.) on plant inspections; ensure corrective action on violations.
- Administer contractor safety program including periodic inspections and correction of violations.
- Identify unsafe acts or conditions in the workplace and correct those acts and conditions through cooperative intervention and work order management.
- Use risk assessment, Operational Excellence tools of kaizen, GEMBA, Hoshin to improve EHS programs.
- Conduct safety analyses on specific jobs where required.
- Coordinate monthly inspection program for environmental and safety compliance.
- Investigation support for injuries, near miss incidents and property damage incidents.
- Assist other SMI facilities with safety and health related issues.
- Support site activities for the corporate employee engagement metrics currently used in the organization.
*This is considered a safety sensitive position therefore will be subject to random drug testing as required.
Acts as resource and champion for department continuous improvement activities (Suggestion Program, 5S, Kaizen, TPM, problem solving, etc.).
Other Duties & Responsibilities
- Work with Supervisors and Managers to ensure the safety of the employees and the environment; also ensuring the success of all projects under their control.
- Support positive relationships with MSHA and other government agencies by assisting them on various items, both proactively and as requested.
- Work with SMI Safety and Health Managers at other facilities, and local, regional and national safety and health contacts.
- Work with local town officials, schools, Chambers of Commerce, United Way, etc. to build positive image for company. Also responsible for providing policy/procedure development and interpretation, disability management, employee, and community relations.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited institution in relevant field Geology.
- 5 years of related experience required.
- Must have the ability to communicate effectively, to motivate others and to promote a positive work atmosphere.
- The incumbent must be a self-starter who can work effectively with a minimum of supervision.
- Must have the ability to work effectively with all levels of employees within the company. Incumbent must have demonstrated a willingness to challenge conventional ideas, be flexible, innovative and be able to function effectively in a team format.
- A strong working knowledge of computer systems, including Microsoft Word and Excel and Power Point is required.
- While performing the duties of this job, an employee is typically required to read, write, listen, speak and understand English, follow all instructions and other oral/written information, visually inspect equipment/work area, complete paperwork and other documentation accurately, identify, analyze, troubleshoot and solve issues using judgment and mechanical knowledge/abilities, react quickly as needed, be organized and detail oriented, be able to identify/judge the urgency of a situation, use judgment in decision making, communicate effectively with others, be aware of oneself in relation to surrounding equipment, work independently and as a team with others. Ability to instruct/transfer job information/knowledge to others is required.
- The employee is expected to be self-directed, take initiative and be persistent when appropriate to accomplish necessary duties and keep busy without prompting. Additionally, the employee is expected to be adaptable/flexible to changing work assignments, have a high level of integrity, dependability, and self-control to maintain composure, perform multiple tasks at once, learn and memorize procedures, manage time effectively and efficiently, meet established deadlines, display a cooperative attitude, motivate and lead others, read, understand and follow all company, job specific and safety policies/procedures, and attend/use all required training.
- Ability to travel is preferred.
- There is exposure to plant production areas, which may include exposure to outside weather conditions as well as loud noise from equipment and dust from production processes. Exposure to plant areas requires the use of appropriate safety equipment. Personal protective equipment is available for employee use in these circumstances.
What We Offer:
- Competitive pay, commensurate with experience
- Health/Dental/Vision plans
- 401k company match
- Life Insurance
- Short Term Disability & Long-Term Disability
- Educational Assistance
- Employee Assistance Plan